Friday, March 30, 2018

Brown Sugar Cinnamon Coconut Oil Cookies


It’s spring break and it’s been nice having some time off. While I haven’t done anything super exotic, sometimes just being home is really nice. Some friends from work and I went to lunch one day and then came over and we baked cookies. Ok, I made the cookies but it was nice to have the company. I had hoped that our kitties would come and be friendly, but only one was very brave.

In choosing cookies to make when everyone was over, I left the decision to my husband. He had sent me quite a few possible recipes, which I will explore later. I wanted to make dairy free cookies, as one of my colleagues can’t have dairy. Thankfully, it isn’t too hard to find good dairy free recipes. Butter is the main culprit in most of the recipes that I make, and there are many possible substitutions. Now, you wouldn’t want to make something like shortbread, which relies on butter as the primary ingredient and flavor. But many other cookies work wonderfully without dairy.

We ended up baking two different cookies, and both used coconut oil. I typically have coconut oil on hand, and this cookie required nothing unusual. I think this is about the shortest recipe I have ever posted, but don’t let that deceive you; they are great cookies! The come together quickly. This recipe doesn’t make very many cookies, only about 20. They look a little unassuming, but they are wonderful, soft and chewy, with a nice cinnamon flavor. They would also be great with ginger. For a cookie that comes together in a flash, they were sure a winner!

Brown Sugar Cinnamon Coconut Oil Cookies
1/2 cup coconut oil, room temperature
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

In a large mixer bowl, beat the coconut oil and brown sugar on medium until smooth. Add the vanilla and egg and mix on medium to incorporate. Add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Mix on low until the dough comes together.

Scoop the dough onto the prepared baking sheets, using about 1-1/2 tablespoons dough for each cookie.

Bake for 8-9 minutes, until set. The cookies may seem under baked, but you do not want to bake these too long. Allow the cookies to cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Recipe from Boys Ahoy


No comments: